My Buddy and Me. MY BUDDIPOLE experience!


 


I purchased  my Buddipole Deluxe Antenna almost 16 years ago.  This blog is not to endorse or oppose any aspects of the Buddipole antenna system but simply my experience in using it. 

Over my many years in ham radio, I’ve owned only three commercial built antennas.  At the time I purchased my Buddipole antenna I owned a SUV and was impressed with its small footprint.  I didn’t use my Buddipole that much before going car-free after three years of it’s purchased.  Most of my Buddipole use after going car-free has been for Field Day.



Field Day 2021
Field Day 2010



When I discovered Parks on the Air in 2020,  it was time to bring my Buddipole into use other than Field Day. For many of the years of owning my Buddipole, I was never able to get any decent SWR readings on all bands. Nothing lower than 2.5:1 on any bands 40 – 10 meters in the Dipole configuration.  When I retired in 2016, it gave me more time to enjoy ham radio. During the pandemic shutdown, I took the opportunity to figure out what I was doing wrong or why I couldn't get a decent SWR reading in the Dipole configuration. 

I re-read the operating manual, enlisted help through inquires on social media, joined the Buddipole users group, purchased a Nano VNA. Still nothing under 2.5:1  I was at my wits end. I had invested several hundred dollars into my entire Buddipole Deluxe Antenna System with all of its ancillaries and was ready to sell it.

Before getting materials to package my Buddipole to sell, I re-read (KI6AWK) David Haycock’s “Brief Guide to the Buddipole Antenna System. I decided to try setting up in a vertical configuration for 40 meters and trimming some speaker wire for radials and using the Triple Ratio Switch Balun. I was thrilled to be able to achieve a SWR down to 1.5:1 on 40 meters using the TRSB with 3 radials, 9.5 foot whip, two standard 22” Antenna arms and the 18’ mast.


Triple Ratio Switch Balun

40 Meter Vertical with Radials


Then I decided to try setting up the antenna in a 20 meter dipole configuration without the TRSB using standard whips and antenna arms. I still could not achieve a SWR lower than 2.5. So I decided to check the coax I was using which came with my system. I checked with my Nano VNA and no problems. As I was disconnecting the coax from Nano VNA, I looked down the barrel of the BNC connector and noticed the center pin of the coax had disappeared. Further examination showed the center conductor of the coax had pulled away from the coax braid.  No wonder I was getting inconsistent SWR reading with this coax.



After placing a new BNC connector to the coax, re-setting up Buddipole in a 20 meter dipole configuration, I got a 1.15:2 SWR reading without connecting it to my Nano VNA. Deciding not to press my luck, I disassembled my Buddipole for another day.

Now that I was able to assemble and get my Buddippole to operate in the manner for which it was manufactured, I pulled the “For Sale” sign from it. Additionally, I found another article from (KI6AWR) David Haycock. “More on Buddipole Tuning”.   This article gets a little more in-depth with how to adjust for the resonant frequency, feed point impedance and provides a table to easily fine tune the Buddipole in a dipole configuration. From that day forward, I've never had any issues assembling my Buddipole Antenna System in any configuration from 80 - 2 meters.

NOTE: I have found the best way to fully appreciate and use the Buddipole Antenna System is with the use of an Antenna Analyzer.  This tool is invaluable in fully enjoying the capabilities of the BUDDIPOLE.

Over the years I’ve used several different configurations. L-Shape, V-Shape, Dipole, Vertical, 6 Meter Yagi, and 2 Meter J-Pole.


Buddipole L-configuration

Buddipole V-Configuration




6 Meter Yagi



2 Meter J-Pole



I’ve used my Buddipole Antenna with My QRO rigs: Ten Tec Delta 580, Yaesu FT-891 and QRP rigs: Yaesu FT-817, QCX 40 & 20 Meter Mini, QDX, HB-1B and Pixie rigs

During my most recent Buddipole antenna Parks on the Air activation, I used my QRP You Kits HB-1B QRP CW transceiver on 20 meters in a dipole configuration.  Below is a picture of the setup and a QSO map of the QSOs on what turned out to be a very, very chilly March afternoon with less than optimum band and solar conditions.


Buddipole POTA 
activation 3/16/24

HB-1B & Buddipole
POTA activation
3/16/24







 




    







With the above types of results I’ll be using my Buddipole Antenna systems quite a bit more













































































Buddipole:More on tuning KI6AWR

 

 

 

by David Haycock, KI6AWR

 

 

Buddipole is an antenna system with many combinations and ideas to get a signal out in the air

The Buddipole, the Buddistick and the BuddiHex

The BuddiHex took 10 years of iterations and design ideas to come to production with its massive wait list

Buddipole offers spare parts and accessories to make your deployments easier and faster on any ham band

First, READ THE MANUAL, as its not a traditional dipole but a slightly Offset Center Fed Dipole. This brings the antenna impedance closer to 50 ohms due to its shorter antenna length. For a 10m dipole it would be deployed like a regular dipole. However, one side will be a bit longer or shorter and its tap point will be different than the other side. No need to understand it just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

Yes, an antenna analyzer like the Rigexpert 230 Stick will be ideal as is the iPortable meter. I use both depending on what I am deploying. Its a bit pricey but I have had mine for 10 years and replaced the battery twice. Its an ideal size and does exactly what I need ….quickly in 3 seconds be able to check the SWR. I just got the RE Stick and I am excited to try it out at the parks.

Ok always ensure you use the guys on your tripod ALWAYS as the wind can knock it over

Tip #1 Get longer whips to replace the standard 5 and half foot ones. Longer whips means more signal on 20m and 40m. The 9 and half footers are a nice add on to your kit

Advertisement

Tip #2 Get additional arms to increase the length between the VersaTee and the Coil to increase signal output and allow the ablity to make a beam

Tip #3 Get the TRSB Triple Ratio Switch Balun as it will allow its use as a common mode choke to keep RFI out of the coax but also to work as a transformer to up convert the impedance ratios to match at 50 ohms. Compromise antennas can be very capacitive (remember the LC circuits on the ham exam) but the big coils on the Buddipole compensate but the resonace impedance can be 12.5 ohms so we need to bring it up to 50 ohms using the 1:4 position. A 9:1 balun takes 450 ohms and drops it to 50 ohms.

Trust me, I tried to play around and make my own but I did get Alex Biocca’s kit but since I have too many Buddipole kits I needed another one. I should have gotten two so I can use it with my Super Antenna MP1 or homebrew whips.

Triple Ratio Balun

Tip #4 Just get the Deluxe Kit at a Dayton Special price as the 18 ft mast makes a big difference. Try to get every antenna up that high as a 1/2 wave above ground is the way to go for best radiation performance.

You can get the painter pole adapter from Budd and be all set up with a Big Box store special Painter Pole $40

The Buddipole team is happy yo mix and match components with other brands as needed as its all about having fun and making QSO

73s

IPS

Bonus Tip: You will get a Mastwerks eventually so get it now

See the Dec 2022 QST for my BuddiHex review

POTA with the BuddiHex is the next level of operations think being an Extra class or Advanced

Share this:

 










Comments

What Everyone Else is Reading

Ten with 9 using James Watt

Return of a Wanna-Be-Jedi !

My Lifelong Morse Code "KEYS" Journey to the WORLD!