It's Gotta Be The Shoes! No Mars, Its the ANTENNA!

 



"No Mars. It's The Antenna!" 


For the past few weeks I've been using my Buddipole Deluxe Antenna system in several different configurations for my Parks on the Air activations.  Nothing special but the antenna has been sitting in the corner for too many months collecting dust. I've had a lot of success using using my Buddipole antenna during recent QRP use. It brought to mind something I was told and has been ingrained in my ham radio DNA for over 60 years. For ham radio operating your money is better spent on an effective antenna system than your radio. Whether you make it, bake it, print it, or buy it; spend the money first on that antenna system.

My ham radio antenna redux journey started something like this. In March 1983 when I took my Novice test to get re-licensed, I had moved back in with my aging parents to care for them.  I had already purchased my rig (Ten-Tec Century 21) and antenna (Butternut HF6V). As I look back, purchasing that antenna at THAT time was not one of my best ham radio operating decisions. I wish I had done what I did when I was first licensed in 1963 and built my own antenna. (The mind of a child can be so innocent and yet plausible.)  There was nothing wrong with that Butternut antenna. It is a great antenna. 




However, their house was two stories with an attic (Total height was almost 40' high)with a metal roof and a small backyard 30 x 12, surrounded by similar dwellings and power/telephone lines surrounding the property. Considering safety and operating efficiency, It took me almost 2 years to mount the Butternut to optimum (though compromised) operating position. The Butternut antenna was mounted with metal pipes attached to side of house that place the base of antenna 10 feet above roof with several wires running from base to metal roof to act as a counterpoise.  I worked the world on CW with that Century 21 & Butternut HF6V setup.

The point for me, was my excitement to get on the air as quickly as possible.  I wished I would have invested more time in preparing and evaluating my antenna setup before purchasing the Butternut. 

As we approach warmer temperatures with better weather here in the U.S., what better time to invest in some antenna system evaluating, antenna repairing and building. There's no time like the present to do some antenna work and take advantage of the benefits of this enhanced solar cycle as it will come and go before you know it.  You'll want to be assured your antenna will give you its best not only during these intensified solar conditions but  during solar minimum as well. 

If any of you follow me on Social Media, you may have noticed I do most of my Parks on the Air activations via bicycle. You also may have seen I have a lot of cycling jerseys.  I like to say, I have as many ham radio antennas as I do cycling jerseys. 

I have made quite a lot of antennas over the years. Some good and some I try to forget.  Some Mono, some dual band, J-Pole, Moxon-Turnstile, Yagi, Egg Beaters, Flower Pot antenna,  linked dipole for QRP and QRO, some EFHW for QRO and  QRP, some vertical, some random wire for QRP and QRO, Delta Loop and antennas for satellite use.


QRP/QRO 40 meter Mono Band

QRP Tufteln Linked EFHW

QRP 40 - 15 Lijnked Dipole

QRO 60/ 40/ 30 / 20 Linked Dipole


QRP 40 - 10 meter Random Wire


Moxon Turnstile for Sat work



40 - 10 Meter QRP EFHW



Their use depends on some variables in portable use. Terrain, footprint, type and length of mast, availability of trees for deployment (if they can be used) which radio, which bands, mode of operation, band conditions, solar and terrestrial weather, and how I feel, etc.

Some of my most memorable contacts have been made using antenna I've built.  For me, there's nothing more satisfying and rewarding than getting that cross continent or QRPp QSO with an antenna built with my own hands.






Besides, wire, coaxial  cable, connectors, heat shrink, insulators , etc the most important tool for my antenna building projects is either an Antenna Analyzer or Nano NVA.  Hands down it makes antenna building so much easier.

I remember reading something about antennas from renowned ham radio enthusiast Doug DeMaw W1FB (SK) that went something like this .... the most important part of an effective ham station is the antenna system. Expensive transceivers and mediocre antennas do not complement one another if you want to communicate over long distance paths.


So Mars, "Its not the shoes!
 It is the ANTENNA."






Comments

What Everyone Else is Reading

My Lifelong Morse Code Journey "Down the BRICK Road"

My Lifelong Morse Code "KEYS" Journey to the WORLD!

Return of a Wanna-Be-Jedi !