My Lifelong Morse Code "KEYS" Journey to the WORLD!

 



In my previous post I touched on my Lifelong Morse Code Journey. This time I'll touch on some of the keys that have helped me on my journey to the WORLD!

As I mentioned in my earlier posts the key below was my first REAL telegraph key I used in my journey. . This key is over 60 years old and has been mounted on presswood, plywood, tables, plastic and currently this piece of granite.  I cannot recall the number of QSOs I've hammered with this key but it has seen me through Novice, General, Advanced and Extra code exams.  As I look back on my journey, not only is this my first piece of ham radio equipment but this instrument is my most PRIZED piece of ham radio equipment. 




When I decided to reacquaint myself with Morse Code, this was the key I used to re-start my journey. In 1983 when I decided to get relicensed as a Novice I purchased a Morse Code Practice Oscillator Kit from Heathkit.  I brought this out of mothballs to continue my Morse Code journey after a 30 year absence. 







Well, it seems that adage about "It's just like riding a bicycle" is true.  I connected my childhood straight key to the Heathkit Code Oscillator and pounded away. 







It didn't take long for my mind and appendages to work in unison. Thanks to operators like Lawrence N2VGA who made it easy to return to the Morse Code mode.






Now that I was reacquainted with doing Morse Code, I decided it was time for this Old Dog to learn a new trick. Even though I had been away from Morse Code for 30 years, the mode of CW has always been in the back of my mind.  Years ago I had purchased a Ten Tec Ultramatic Electronic Paddles to pair with my Ten Ten Omni 546D, only never to use it. Now fully engaged in Morse Code, it was time to continue my Lifelong Morse Code Journey and unbox this key to unlock the door to a NEW WORLD of operating CW.     PADDLES!





This was a difficult transition for me. It took weeks getting the paddles adjusted to my speed and touch. For me, this unit was so sensitive. It was an ALL NEW experience.  But I was not going to let this small piece of metal defeat me.  Operators like Bill,  K4NYM known affectionately as "The POTA Activator"; helped me navigate me through my unmitigated disastrous sending on far too many occasions. But for me, I remembered that as a youth Novice I never let my poor sending stop me from continuing getting on the air to improve my skills. You can practice as much as you like but REAL WORLD experiences are what HELPED ME.




And if that wasn't enough to keep my fingers busy, I had a couple of Bencher paddles laying around collecting dusk. So why not dusk them off and let my fingers tippy toe across their paddles.  I started off in low gear while getting the feel of these Bencher paddles, The BY-1 and BY-2.  




            



For me, these paddles had a different feel than the electronic Ten Tec Ultramatic paddles. I did not hesitate to jump on the air and make contacts as much as possible while making adjustments to the paddles for my personal feel. It didn't take long for me to get really comfortable at higher speeds while having a QSO



    
           
           



As I became more proficient in using paddles, I decided to get more involved  operating more SKCC Straight Key Century Club events and their SKCC Sked Page to garner QSOs. Since the club advocates the use of straight keys, side-sweepers (Cooties) and bugs, it was time for me to try something else new and different.  So I built my own Hacksaw Blade Cootie Key.  Talk about something WAY, WAY out of my COMFORT ZONE. This key pushed me in a good way. It made me become more aware of my sending and not running characters together. It was tough going but well worth it.




     


It took hours of practice and QSOs for me to feel comfortable using the Cootie Key.






  

                              Parks on the Air QSO with Rob WC1N


There is no doubt in my mind I would never have been able to take on this next key, If I had not tried the Cootie Key (Side-Sweeper) first.  Even after many hours of practice, many adjustments and many QSOS, I'm still not where I'd like to be using this next key.  What key?    "The Vibroplex Bug"





It boggles my mind how many operates have in my opinion mastered the use of this key at speeds which are way above my present skill level.  This is how it all started with me and My Vibroplex Bug.





Finally after many hours of practice and on - air QSO, I felt confidence enough with setting my Bug up for higher speeds like this Parks on the Air QSO with Tom NV4H.




Learning how to use these different keys has helped revitalize My Lifelong Morse Code Journey,  A couple of years ago I made a vow not to buy any more radios. However, I NEVER vowed not to buy any more Morse Code Keys.
Here 's what's next on my Christmas list. 

VizKey from Jim W6JIM collection of Keys


 
Santa, I've bene a good boy so far this year. H! Ho!
































 






















Comments

What Everyone Else is Reading

My Lifelong Morse Code Journey "Down the BRICK Road"

Return of a Wanna-Be-Jedi !