Solar Eclipse 2024 - My Experience as an Amateur Radio Operator

 


What a day!  A once in a lifetime experience. Although the Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve POTA site in Louisville, KY. USA is about 40 miles south of a totally region, I was able to experience 99.3 % of totality.  Health concerns prevented me from traveling those 40 miles to an area of complete totality but what I did experience was equally awe striking.

For months I had planned to operate at a Parks on the Air site during the eclipse. My plan was to operate QRP with my Yaesu FT-817 C, SSB and FT8 using my Signalink and Panasonic FZ-G1 Toughpad and my Buddipole Deluxe Antenna System.  I wanted to see if the eclipse would have any effect operating QRP.  The FT-817 gave me several band options and the Buddipole Antenna in dipole configuration would be easily tunable on all bands 40 - 10 meters. I've compiled enough data and spent enough time with my Buddipole Antenna System all I need is a tape measure to tune it on all bands. With a tape measure I can usually get it resonant to 1:15:1 by adjusting the whips as I have pre-set the coils taps for 40 - 10 meters. 

However, when I woke up on Eclipse day, Monday April 8, 2024, I had an epiphany.  Why limit myself to the FT817. Why not operate three stations simultaneously.  I had the rigs, had the power (batteries) and the antennas.  What a neat plan!


So here's was the setup:









Yaesu FT-817 QRP for SSB, CW  optional 2 meters
12V 3Ah Bioenno Battery
Buddipole Deluxe Antenna in Dipole Configuration 

QRP Labs 20 meter QRP QCX mini for WSPR
9v 200mAh Battery
Tufteln 20 Meter vertical

QRP Labs 80 - 20 Meter QDX Digital for FT8
12V 3Ah TalentCell Battery
QRP 40 - 10 Meter EFHW

Panasonic FZ-G1 Toughpad with GPS Dongle




I loaded up my Touring bike and headed to my usual POTA site Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve US-7956 Louisville, KY, USA to setup and start my Solar Eclipse 2024 experience. 

SURLY Long Haul Trucker Bicycle



I quickly setup my Buddipole in a diople configuration with the other antennas attached to the top of my Buddipolle mast in an area where I wouldn't be an obstacle to others who would take advantage of the beautiful weather to observe the 99.3% of the eclipse totality over the Louisville, KY. USA area. The setup was very quick as you can view below. 




After the raising the Buddipole in a diploe configuration with the Tufteln vertical and QRP EFHW attached o the top of te mast, I checked the SWR with my Nano VNA and found it to be 1.15:1 for the entire CW portion of 20 meters. 



                                               




Because everything was within arms reach, even though they were on the ground, for a short time I was able to operate all stations simultaneously. The QCX Mini was automatically running in WSPR mode, the QDX was running by itself. All I needed to do was make a quick click to log a QSO and with the attached pilot kneeboard and using my CW Morse SP4 paddle, Morse Code operation was Eezy Peezy.


  



I had all of my antennas set up in an orientation along the U.S. path of the eclipse., I wanted to see if the eclipse was going to have any effects with transmitting and / or receiving.  




My 20 meter QCX Mini WSPR using 9V 200 mW received well all along the U.S. path of the eclipse with receptions reports in the U.S., eastern Canada, Central America and Europe.

The BIG surprise for me came with the operation of the QDX on 20 meters with 5 watts. I was amazed at the WSJT-X waterfall. It was lite up like a Christmas tree. I knew my little QRP signal did not stand a chance as it was difficult to find an area to squeeze into to transmit.  There were countless stations calling "CQ POTA" and "CQ SEQP" (CQ Solar Eclipse QSO Party) However, I was able to sneak in a couple of FT8 QSOs (N0RC/KS) & W9NG/MS) Plus, I had one incomplete QSO with VU3EFG/India. It was nice to see all of the FT8 activity.

There was lots of activity for SSB on 20, 17 and 15 meters. Lots of QRO stations. Called "CQ" for several minutes but again my QRP signal could not break through crowded band conditions.  Additionally, I work SSB so little, some may have thought someone else was using my callsign. "hi hi"

Most of my operating was CW. Most of my time was spent on 20 meters with a few 15 meter contacts and several "CQ" calls on 17, 12, 10 meters. There was plenty of hunters taking advantage of modest 20 meter band conditions. I was appreciative of the amount of new to me HUNTERS like a DX from F4ILH- Jean Baptiste and equally thankful for some of my familiar Hunters. W2AEQ - Alan / K9IS - Steve / VE1CNS-Bryne / AA0IW - David and1st time hunter for me AE6Z - C.W. 

The highlight of this day's Parks on the Air activation was a CW QSO with N5KT - Gerald as the eclipse passed over him in Texas and 8 minutes later with W0YEM - Nick, as the eclipse passed over me in Kentucky. USA.  EPIC!



There was enough activity to keep me busy for many hours but I spent a lot of time communing with others around me and partaking of this epoch celestial moment in time
.

April 8, 2024 will be one of those Parks on the Air activations I'll never forget



 



Comments

What Everyone Else is Reading

My Lifelong Morse Code Journey "Down the BRICK Road"

My Lifelong Morse Code "KEYS" Journey to the WORLD!

Return of a Wanna-Be-Jedi !