As many of you know, most of my portable operating is done via a bicycle. When I discovered the QRP Labs QCX Mini series it was like the heavens opened up for my QRP portable operating. For years I've used my Yaesu FT-817 for portable operating especially while doing my bike touring activities. The FT-817 provided multi-mode options but during my bike tours the unit and accessories took up a lot of space in my panniers. So the QCX Mini rigs are the perfect portable rigs for my CW and bike touring activities.
I opted to order a 40 meter QCX Mini kit. The backlog for an assembled units was too long for my liking so why not put my ham radio skills to work and build this unit. I completed my unit in a couple of weeks without any major flaws. Made so minor adjustments for power output and I was off to the races.
Those first few weeks of operating only wetted my appetite to purchase another unit. Just before ordering another kit, I came upon an operator who was selling his 20 meter QCX mini for a fairly inexpensive piece. Lower than a kit, so I purchased the unit.
All was well for a couple of weeks of POTA activations until one day while doing a joint POTA activation with Michael / N4DCW, I noticed a change in receiving on my 20 meter USED QCX Mini. I didn't think much of it until a couple of weeks later when I went to removed my antenna from the unit the center insulator of the BNC connector on the unit pulled out with the coax.
Again not thinking much of it, I ordered a BNC connector and within a week was back on the air. During the summer months almost all of my POTA activations are done at or before sunrise due the the hot and humid weather conditions in Louisville, KY. USA, so during those mornings I use on 40 meters. My use of my 20 meter QCX Mini was limited during the summer and fall months of 2023. In late 2023, I noticed the power output of my 20 meter QCX mini seemed to be low. Checked and found it was putting out less than a watt with 12 volts. Something had gone array.
Opened up the unit and did a physical exam to check for any obvious issues.
I didn't noticed any signs of improper soldering, so I pulled out the limited test equipment I had to delve further into the issues. I'll be the first to admit my troubleshooting skills are weak but I was determined to find out why this unit was not performing in its former state.
Thanks to many internet inquiries and encouragement from others I was bound and determined not to let this little piece of electronics BEAT ME. With the schematic and voltage readings for components, I checked every component on the board. I found some voltage reading issues but wasn't sure of my findings. I learned many years ago to document my troubleshooting findings. I wrote down all my findings and put the unit back together and set aside.
The unit sat idle for the rest of 2024 and most of 2025. As we slowly move away from Solar Cycle 25 max, my Early Bird morning activations have produced GREAT 40 meter DX openings but at times 40 meter band conditions can change rather quickly providing early day openings on 20 meters. Although I have other multi-band QRP units, I felt it was time to complete troubleshooting 20 meter issues and repair it, to get the Twins (Bada Big and Bada Boom) back together again.
It had been months since I attempted to repair this unit, so I took my time and went back again to double checked voltage readings from months earlier. Still same readings. This helped relieve my anxieties that I was on the right track. The zoom function of my cellphone camera was an huge help in locating potential bad solder points.
Close up views showed potential solder issues with some of the toroids where enamel had not been fully removed and wires were loosely wound.
My probing of the Q1,Q2,Q3 and Q6 were varied. The only way for me to be sure of my readings was to remove heat shrink to get a better angle for testing and/or removing transistors.
Now able to get a clean shot of of to test transistor points, I was able to verify that all transistors were shot. Even though my suspicions were on point, I was able to solve my issues, as I continued to be a "Doubting Thomas". I had to be sure of my readings, so after removing all transistors and testing them; I experienced a certain level of euphoria from troubleshooting my issues and confirming the transistors were bad.
After ordering transistors it was now time for the real work to begin. It is always easier to dismantled something than constructing it. With parts on hand it was time to continue this repair.
I was so thrilled I had solved my transmit and reception problems, I did not take photos of the soldering work to install a Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q6. Nor the removing of enamel from the ends of L1. L2, L3,and L4. It took several times of adjusting the windings on those toriods to boost the power output to 5.5 watts and a few passes of adjusting the band-pass trimmer capacitor, the I-Q amplitude balance of R27 and Audio phase shift adjustments of R17 and R24.
After work the next day I did a quick POTA activation during unsettled 20 meter HF band conditions and secured 11 CW contacts within 17 minutes from coast to coast from US-7956 Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve in Louisville, KY. USA. What I initially thought was an impossible task turned out to be fairly simple. I had repaired my 20 meter QCX Mini.
On Halloween of 2025, I hunted some Parks on the Air activators from my shack during Geomagnetic Storm conditions with Solar Winds over 600, A Index over 30 and K Index of 4. My thoughts, if I can make contacts during these conditions from my shack where my noise floor generally hangs around S5-7, then my POTA activations will be a piece of cake.
The following video is a QSO with Dave / WG0Y activating at US-4427 / Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest near Springville, AZ. USA. About 1500 miles from my shack in Louisville, KY. USA.
It is nice to have the Twins back together again. Bada Bing (40 Meter QCX Mini) and Bada Boom (20 meter QCX Mini).
What Bands/Modes Will You Use IN BETWEEN Solar Cycle 25 & 26? As we continue to experience unpredictable HF propagation of Solar Cycle 25, it is not too early to start thinking about the bands and modes that you might find to be the best to operate as we move to that IN BETWEEN period of Solar Cycle 25 & 26. The last few weeks have been rather challenging on the HF bands with lower Solar Flux Indices and lower Sun Spot numbers and consistent high Solar Winds. As an avid QRP operator it can make for some dismal days. So here is part of my plan for the impending lull of favorable HF band conditions. It was during in between Solar Cycle 23 and Solar Cycle 24 when I became acquainted with an operator who had become frustrated with trying to make SSB/CW contacts with his FT-817 which he rarely used and was eager to get rid of it. I felt bad about the price he asked for as I knew he could get more but he was VERY eager to be relieved of the FT-817. After receiv...
I had to get the word out about this new tool for our ham radio box. This mode falls somewhat inline with my previous blogpost about what bands/modes you may use in between Solar Cycles. JTTY falls into that category. What is JTTY? JTTY is NEW part of the WSJT-X suite of Digital Modes. It is keyboard-to-keyboard Digital Mode transmissions without synchronized time slots as we have been accustomed to with FT4 and FT8 transmissions. That means you can start fast RTTY-style real-time operator-to-operator chats or contest style exchanges at ANY time. This mode uses uses 4-tone GSFK with a bandwidth of about 125 Hz to 127 Hz, which can deliver about 30 WPM random text and up to 60 WPM for contest exchanges. For 20 meters the QSJT-X teams suggest starting at about 14.090 MHz. Other suggested frequencies can be found at the following link by DX Zone JTTY Frequencies Robert W5ITR " Digital Rancher " has compiled a couple of YouTube videos about th...
Its that time of year for most of the Western Hemisphere. AUTUMN! Shorter cooler days and in some areas frosty. Its the season where some of us cut back on our portable activities and operate from the warmth and comfort of our shacks. Its also the season when some of us pull out our soldering irons and put them to work. Be it , repairs or maybe kit building, Autumn can be the start of Kit Building Season. For me, I've got a few projects on my To-Do-List. At the top is the completion of my 2nd Low Band QRP Labs QDX Digital Transceiver. Since we are moving toward the IN BETWEEN of Solar Cycle 25 and Solar Cycle 26 area, it is likely that I'll be operating more Digital Modes and Satellites than Morse Code and SSB. During the Autumn and Winter months my plan is to run the 2nd QDX unit via Raspberry Pi in JS8Call digital mode from my shack; especialy overnight. I may also look at assembling some other kits. I came across a YouTube video from the guys at Ham Radi...
Comments
Post a Comment