Everytime I travel to do a Parks on the Air activation is special but on April 22nd, "Earth Day 2025" I reached a noteworthy occasion at Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve US-7956 in Louisville, KY. USA. The occasion; activation Number 300. I never imagined that on an early Sunday morning on August 8, 2021, I would achieve this milestone and the path that Parks on the Air would provide that has lead me to enjoy so many meaningful and wonderful experiences
Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve 8/8/2021
I discovered POTA during the height of the COVID pandemic and was recovering from surgery and treatment for liver failure. LIttle did I know at the time of two more bladder cancer surgeries, treatments and the horrendous side effects that face me over the next three years. Undeterred since I've survived a previous bladder cancer and pancreatic cancer surgery and treatment, Parks on the Air was the best medicine and treatment during this time. I am so LUCKY to have a Parks on the Air Site less than three miles from my QTH. How could I not take advantage of an opportunity to discover something new which turn out to more exciting than I could imagine.
I'd like to share some of the equipment I've used during some of those 300 valid activations at Beargrass Creek State Nature Preserve.
I've had a few failed attempts but being able to spend time outdoors during COVID surges and my cancer surgeries and treatments are more meaningful than those failed attempts. I've meet countless people, have now been able to call a few friends, shared the hobby with many, numerous encounters with wildlife and seemingly have become the favorite of a multitude of canine visitors.
Not knowing what to expect on my first Parks on the Air activation, I used my trusty Yaesu FT-891 with my Alpha Mag Loop antenna. Having barely used Morse Code in over 30 years most of the QSOs during that first POTA activation was SSB.
Not only did I take the moniker "Ham on a Bike" during these 300 activations, I learned to lighten my bike load. First with my Yaesu FT-817 along with LDG/z817 Autotuner when needed.
And I've continued to get smaller with my rigs over these 300 activations.
YouKits HB-1B
QRP Labs QCX Mini
And I have collected a few paddles and keys during the 300 activations.
American Morse Equipment Porta Paddle
Radio Adventure Paddle
CW Morse SP4 Paddle
3D Printed Paddle
American Morse Equipment Ultra Porta Paddle
3D Printed Mini Paddle
Putikeeg Mini Straight Key
CW Mouse 3D Printed Paddle
I've used a variety of antennas during these 300 activations. Most of them are DIY but a few are commercially built. All types of setups, masts, and other means of support.
I've used my Buddipole Antenna System in several different confirgurations.
40 & 20 Linked Dipole
QRO EFHW /TennTennas 49:1
QRP Guys Mini Random Wire
Speaker Wire Random Wire
On this Earth Day 4/22/2025 I decided to use the rig I and antenna I started my Parks on the air activation with this this site. My Yaesu FT-891 and Alpha Mag Loop antenna.
Here is a short video of how thingsturned out on this 300th 40 meter CW/SSB Parks on the Air activation from US-7956 Beargrass Creek state Nature Preserve in Louisville KY. USA .
Outstanding achievement Jim! I've only done a hand full of activations, and those were with our local club, so I can truly appreciate what you've done over the past four years. Keep on activating, and I'll keep trying to work you when I can hear you! 73, Howard, AC4FS
What Bands/Modes Will You Use IN BETWEEN Solar Cycle 25 & 26? As we continue to experience unpredictable HF propagation of Solar Cycle 25, it is not too early to start thinking about the bands and modes that you might find to be the best to operate as we move to that IN BETWEEN period of Solar Cycle 25 & 26. The last few weeks have been rather challenging on the HF bands with lower Solar Flux Indices and lower Sun Spot numbers and consistent high Solar Winds. As an avid QRP operator it can make for some dismal days. So here is part of my plan for the impending lull of favorable HF band conditions. It was during in between Solar Cycle 23 and Solar Cycle 24 when I became acquainted with an operator who had become frustrated with trying to make SSB/CW contacts with his FT-817 which he rarely used and was eager to get rid of it. I felt bad about the price he asked for as I knew he could get more but he was VERY eager to be relieved of the FT-817. After receiv...
Its that time of year for most of the Western Hemisphere. AUTUMN! Shorter cooler days and in some areas frosty. Its the season where some of us cut back on our portable activities and operate from the warmth and comfort of our shacks. Its also the season when some of us pull out our soldering irons and put them to work. Be it , repairs or maybe kit building, Autumn can be the start of Kit Building Season. For me, I've got a few projects on my To-Do-List. At the top is the completion of my 2nd Low Band QRP Labs QDX Digital Transceiver. Since we are moving toward the IN BETWEEN of Solar Cycle 25 and Solar Cycle 26 area, it is likely that I'll be operating more Digital Modes and Satellites than Morse Code and SSB. During the Autumn and Winter months my plan is to run the 2nd QDX unit via Raspberry Pi in JS8Call digital mode from my shack; especialy overnight. I may also look at assembling some other kits. I came across a YouTube video from the guys at Ham Radi...
I had to get the word out about this new tool for our ham radio box. This mode falls somewhat inline with my previous blogpost about what bands/modes you may use in between Solar Cycles. JTTY falls into that category. What is JTTY? JTTY is NEW part of the WSJT-X suite of Digital Modes. It is keyboard-to-keyboard Digital Mode transmissions without synchronized time slots as we have been accustomed to with FT4 and FT8 transmissions. That means you can start fast RTTY-style real-time operator-to-operator chats or contest style exchanges at ANY time. This mode uses uses 4-tone GSFK with a bandwidth of about 125 Hz to 127 Hz, which can deliver about 30 WPM random text and up to 60 WPM for contest exchanges. For 20 meters the QSJT-X teams suggest starting at about 14.090 MHz. Other suggested frequencies can be found at the following link by DX Zone JTTY Frequencies Robert W5ITR " Digital Rancher " has compiled a couple of YouTube videos about th...
Outstanding achievement Jim! I've only done a hand full of activations, and those were with our local club, so I can truly appreciate what you've done over the past four years. Keep on activating, and I'll keep trying to work you when I can hear you! 73, Howard, AC4FS
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Jim!
ReplyDelete73
John McGrath
KF6EFG