Many years ago the Federal Communications Commission in the U.S. eliminated their logging requirements for Amateur Radio. Most of us continue to keep logging records for Awards.
For me record keeping has always been an integral part of my ham radio activities.
When I began my Commercial Radio Broadcast career in my late teens, I was blessed to have a Program Director, Broadcast Engineer, Traffic, Business and General Manager that stressed the importance of Record Keeping. To that end it has continually been a part of my life and is basically second nature.
Recently I had an occasion where that Record Keeping came into play. For the last couple of years in late July to late August, I've worked my Sunrise grayline HF propagation from Kentucky USA into JA, VK and ZL lands. Thanks to my record keeping I have a history of knowing there is an excellent probability of making contacts in the Japan and the South Pacific during this window.
Additionally I keep records of the rig, antenna, and keys I use for each activation. For portable operating, yes, I'm Old Fashion and use Paper Logs. As a "Ham on a Bike", the less weight I carry the better it is on this old Old Back and Legs.
That brings me to record keeping for antennas. Most of my antenna are rather simple and normally only require maybe minor adjustments. i.e. Length of counterpoise. But when it comes to the versatile Buddipole Deluxe Antenna, over the years, through a lot of experimentation; I've compiled a Hard Binder and Soft Folder of VNA measurements, whips, coil and extension arm settings whereby I can easily setup many Buddipole configurations depending on band conditions, operating frequencies and location footprint. Additionally I carry along a Buddipole Diary to note any issues Good or Bad that I later place in the Hard Binder and Soft Folder.
I keep a record of Space Weather conditions, ( Solar Storm Watches, Warmings, and current conditions) whenever I'm operating portable. Like Terrestrial Weather, its not always 100% correct for my location, modes and operating frequencies but gives me an idea of what to and what not to expect. A few of the places I look are listed below.
I also keep records written and screenshot of settings for WSJT-X , RTTY, SSTV, Packet (HF/VHF), Winlink etc for different rigs. I keep records of equipment purchases and repairs and modifications and in a lot of cases, pictures and videos..
The long and short of it is, I keep a lot of records. Maybe too many but it works for me and my enjoyment of the hobby and learning NEW things. I guess you can say I'm meticulous or to put it bluntly..... anal.
Good to see you back blogging again! I wish I could keep as meticulous record keeping as you do. I tend to record the antenna, location and time when logging.
ReplyDelete