What Modes/Bands Will You Use IN BETWEEN Solar Cycle 25 & 26?


What Bands/Modes Will You Use IN BETWEEN
 Solar Cycle 25 & 26?



As we continue to experience unpredictable HF propagation of Solar Cycle 25, it is not too early to start thinking about the bands and modes that you might find to be the best to operate as we move to that IN BETWEEN period of Solar Cycle 25 & 26.  The last few weeks have been rather challenging on the HF bands with lower Solar Flux Indices and lower Sun Spot numbers and consistent high Solar Winds.  As an avid QRP operator it can make for some dismal days. So here is part of my plan for the impending lull of favorable HF band conditions.

It was during in between Solar Cycle 23 and Solar Cycle 24 when I became acquainted with an operator who had become frustrated with trying to make SSB/CW contacts with his FT-817 which he rarely used and was eager to get rid of it. I felt bad about the price he asked for as I knew he could get more but he was VERY eager to be relieved of the FT-817.



After receiving the rig, I put it through the paces of CW and SSB and found yes, making contacts was challenging. However, I found this little JEWEL worked exceptionally well on digital modes. WSJT-X was in its infancy but I was able to satisfy my Ham Radio operating appetite with PSK-31, RTTY, Oliva, MSFK, Packet, SSTV, and FM Satellite during those years when HF propagation was not at its best.

Over the years, I've learned you can't keep throwing the same pitch to a batter and they continue to hit it out of the park. If you want to REALLY enjoy the hobby take some time NOW to explore some of the other modes and bands that MAY help you enjoy the hobby more when those Solar Flex numbers are around 60 with Sunspot numbers continually near ZERO and A Index of 2 and K Index of  0.

Today just might be the time if you already haven't to consider looking at Digital Modes. Oh, I'm quite sure many of you are familiar with the WSJT-X software which is great to communicate using very weak radio signals.  During the last in between to the bottom Solar Cycle, WSJT-X was a Godsend for me. But there are other Digital Modes which may serve  you well during this in between period and beyond.

From my vantage point there seems to be quite a bit of activity with JS8Call. Recently I've started running JS8Call overnight on 40 meters and this time of year almost every morning at about sunrise for me (Local Time) greyline propagation allows me to get into VK and ZL land.



And something I discovered during these overnight session is that during the weekly APRS Thursday roundup, some operators will utilize a APRS JS8Call command which was picked up and relay by my station on APRS Thursday.



I have found that JS8Call has been a GREAT substitute for my losing HF packet due to the high Noise Floor at my QTH.  HF / VHF packet is another one of those digital modes which stills experience some activity.  Packet is one of those digital modes I used during the low period leading up to  Solar Cycle 25. I had a dedicated rig which ran 24/7 on 7.105 at night 14.105 during the day which stored, relayed, and communicated with stations worldwide.



    



Speaking of Ham Radio Packet, the International Space Station has an onboard Packet Station. It has been a few years since I accessed the ISS Packet Station but currently the station is on 70 CM / 435.825 MHZ.



In addition to the Digital Mode Station on ISS, the onboard Ham Station is SSB capable which is handy anytime but during Solar Cycle minimum is another option to enjoy the hobby.  Satellite contacts was a daily staple for me during the last Solar Cycle minimum. My last SAT QSO was over a year ago on AO-91 and you can tell I'm rusty with my doppler shift.

 


Here is a list of ARISS Amateur Radio On the International Space Station frequencies.







Another Digital Mode I'm surprised to be under utilized is SSTV (Slow Scan TV). There are thousands of operators who capture images from the International Space Station and other satellites but I find a scant amount of people on 14.230 or 7.171. So few use this mode that a lot of what I'm thinking are newly licensed (compared to me) who are unaware these two  frequencies have been used for years (via Gentleman's Agreement ) for those transmission.  Oftentimes I'll turn in to those frequencies and find POTA activators or other operating on those SSB frequencies.
   







Peter Vogel / VE7AFV usually post a large number of SSTV images he collects weekly and post them on his "X" account Peter Vogel on "X".  If you have a soundcard and software (MMSSTV / QSSTV ) give Slow Scan TV a try.

  
An Oldie BUT a RELIABLE mode that's been around the corner and back is RTTY.  This is one mode I had a lot of fun with. Don't find much RTTY action nowadays except for RTTY Nets and contest.







And least I forget about some of the other underused Digital Modes, i.e. Contestia, Olivia, DominoEX, Heil, Thor, Throb and PSK.  Speaking of PSK, were you aware there is a PSK Group;  PODXS 070 Club which has quarterly events?

Another aspect you'll likely want to consider as we move toward Solar Cycle minimum before heading toward Solar Cycle 26 is HF Propagation.  In in a recent blogpost, Scot KA3DRR talks about "The SOLAR GRIND: Follow The Rate Down" might be worth a read.











 

Comments

What Everyone Else is Reading

Autumn Equinox 9/22/2026 - Start Of Kit Building Season

It All Started With "1"

Are You Inclined to Assist In During A STATE OF EMERGENCY?"